To quote means to repeat the exact words of another with the acknowledgement of the source. A quotation is a phrase or a sentence from a book or a speech that reflects the author's profound thoughts. Often the words quote and quotation are used as substitutes for each other. Quote is a verb and Quotation is a noun. So, in effect, you quote a quotation.
Despite that, using quote instead of quotation is so prevalent that it is sometimes considered acceptable. So, you will find terms like: love quotes, inspiration quotes, funny quotes...
~ Simran Khurana
[Note: In deference to popular usage, I will probably continue to use them interchangeably. Bummer.]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I first created this blog, I wanted to develop the entire page – sidebar, music, main entry, and graphics – according to one theme at a time. That’s all fine . . . until I switch themes. Once I switch the sidebar, the quotes and pics on it are gone for good.
But, I liked those quotes! My initial solution was to place them in a “gadget” at the bottom of the page. It would take pokey me a long time to bog down my page loading with that list, but it could eventually happen. I doubt anyone knew or cared that it was actually there, anyway.
But, I like those quotes! Last night I decided to try something else: an archive page with a permanent link on the sidebar. (see bottom of page) We’ll see how this works. When I have time, I’ll also add a playlist of old music specific to old themes -- just in case someone needs background tunes for “filk” replay! (patience . . . I know you want it now) I’ll also place the old sidebar pics in with the quotes to color the page.
Honestly, it wasn’t the preservation of my own quotes that prompted my rethinking this quote dilemma; it was my realization that the same thing was happening when I scrolled down the sidebars on other blogs. “If I ever want to read this again, I’d better rip it now!” With that one thought, I found myself wishing that archive pages existed on those blogs.
C’est une bonne idée!
~End Quote
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Mark Twain
The best thing in every noble dream is the dreamer...
~ Moncure Conway
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
~ C.S. Lewis
If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
~ Flavia Weedn
from "Full Heart, Empty Page," September 2009 ~ "Feelings, Thoughts and . . . agh!"from "Keeping an Eye on #88," September 2009 ~ "Dreams"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.~Mark Twain
The best thing in every noble dream is the dreamer...
~ Moncure Conway
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
~ C.S. Lewis
If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
~ Flavia Weedn
Words make you think a thought.
Music makes you feel a feeling.
A song makes you feel a thought.
~ E. Y. Harburg
The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: the power to see, to sense, and to say.
That is, he is perceptive, he is feeling, and he has the power to express in language what he observes and reacts to.
~ Lawrence Clark Powell
Thought is deeper than all speech,
Feeling deeper than all thought;
Souls to souls can never teach
What unto themselves was taught.
~ Christopher Pearse Cranch
Feeling is deep and still;
and the word that floats on the surface
Is as the tossing buoy,
that betrays where the anchor is hidden.
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,
“Evangeline” (pt. II, sc. 2, l. 212)
We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect; we apprehend it just as much by feeling. Therefore, the judgment of the intellect is, at best, only the half of truth, and must, if it be honest, also come to an understanding of its inadequacy.
~ Carl Jung
I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.
~ James A. Michener
from "My Favorite Wildcat," July 2009 ~ "From the Mouth of #47's Favorite Coach"
• There's a lot of blood, sweat, and guts between dreams and success.
• Don't ever give up on ability. Don't give up on a player who has it.
• If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you.
• When you get in the end zone act like you've been there before.
• Never quit. It is the easiest cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit.
• In life, you'll have your back up against the wall many times. You might as well get used to it.
• Mama called, and when Mama calls, you just have to come running.
[This last one is my favorite. Well said, Mr. Bryant. ;-)]
from "Found: One Sheep," August 2009
The grateful person, being still the most severe exacter of himself, not only confesses, but proclaims, his debts.
~Robert South
from "Little Brother," July 2009 ~ "Beloved Siblings"
A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self.
~Marian Sandmaier
Our siblings push buttons that cast us in roles we felt sure we had let go of long ago
the baby, the peacekeeper, the caretaker, the avoider. . .
It doesn't seem to matter how much time has elapsed or how far we've traveled.
~Jane Mersky Leder
It was nice growing up with someone like you, someone to lean on,
someone to count on, someone to tell on!
~Author Unknown
After a girl is grown, her little brothers now her protectors seem like big brothers.
~Astrid Alauda
Siblings are the people we practice on, the people who teach us about fairness and cooperation and kindness and caring quite often the hard way.
~Pamela Dugdale
from "End Quote Archives," July 2009 ~ "Listening"
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story.
~Max Ehrman
People ought to listen more slowly!
~Jean Sparks Ducey
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
~ Leo F. Buscaglia
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
~Robert McCloskey (Did you know he said that? And I just thought he was busy making way for ducklings!)
To listen well, is as powerful a means of influence as to talk well, and is as essential to all true conversation.
~Chinese Proverb
So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
~James 1:19, 20
from "Opening the Day," July 2009 ~ "Doing Good"
Want of care does us more damage than want of knowledge.
~Benjamin Franklin
Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.
~Abraham Lincoln
The luxury of doing good surpasses every other personal enjoyment.
~John Gay
The Sun never repents of the good he does, nor does he ever demand a recompense.
~Benjamin Franklin
To be doing good is man's most glorious task.
~Sophocles
~Benjamin Franklin
Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.
~Abraham Lincoln
The luxury of doing good surpasses every other personal enjoyment.
~John Gay
The Sun never repents of the good he does, nor does he ever demand a recompense.
~Benjamin Franklin
To be doing good is man's most glorious task.
~Sophocles
from "Steps to Successful Self-stalking," July 2009
Look at life through the windshield,
not the rear-view mirror.
~ Byrd Bagget
from "Retired . . . or just plain tired.," July 2009
Planning to retire?
Before you do find your hidden passion,
do the thing that you have always wanted to do.
~ Catherine Pulsifer
For retirement brings repose,
and repose allows a kindly judgment of all things.
~ John Sharp Williams
First you forget names;
then you forget faces;
then you forget to zip up your fly;
and then you forget to unzip your fly.
~ Branch Rickey
from "Elusive Momentum," March 2009
Procrastination is opportunity's assassin.
~Victor Kiam
How soon “not now” becomes “never.”
~ Martin Luther
I love deadlines. Especially the whooshing sound they make as they pass by.
~ Douglas Adams
I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.
~ Katie Scarlett O'Hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler
Go to the ant, you sluggard!
Consider her ways and be wise,
Which, having no captain,
Overseer or ruler,
Provides her supplies in the summer,
And gathers her food in the harvest.
How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep?
A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to sleep—
So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler,
And your need like an armed man.
~ Proverbs 6:6-11
from "Pears Have Curves, Too," April 7, 2009
If the mind, that rules the body, ever so far forgets itself as to trample on its slave, the slave is never generous enough to forgive the injury, but will rise and smite the oppressor.
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Good for the body is the work of the body,
good for the soul the work of the soul,
and good for either the work of the other.
~ Henry David Thoreau
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
~ C. S. Lewis
Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do.
Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do.
~ Mark Twain
from "Enjoying the Unexpected," April 22, 2009
Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful. ~ John Wooden
She was beautiful ~ Beautiful to my eyes ~ From the moment I saw her ~ The sun filled the sky
She was so, so beautiful ~ Beautiful just to hold ~ In my dreams she was spring time ~ Winter was cold
How could I tell her what I so clearly could see?
Though I longed for her, I never trusted her completely
So I never could be free
It was so so beautiful ~ Knowing now that she cared ~ I will always remember ~ Moments that we shared
For it was beautiful, beautiful ~ Beautiful to be loved
(Cavatina, sung by Paul Potts)
Why do I feel confused??
ReplyDeleteFilk? ugh! Archiving quotes...great idea, but I thought you already had that. Isn't it gonna get quite long?? Scrollllllll, thought you didn't like to scroll, my moley friend.
Need more coffee and a clearer head, I think...
It would just be an archive. When I'm looking for a specific quotation, I can use the "find" feature and not have to scroll at all. Does that make no sense?
ReplyDeleteMaybe there's a better way.
As far as the filk goes, the playlist would just have store background music for the songs I twisted to my own liking (and to your rolled eyes), and it wouldn't automatically play. I just don't want them on my regular playlist.
I'm not even sure I can embed it directly into the blog.
Yeah, get that coffee. ;-) Good morning!