"Look it up." ~my mother
Yes, it was one of her favorite answers to the steady stream of questions from her firstborn . She wasn't trying to get out of answering; she was training. Born with a question mark in my mouth, I learned to be resourceful early in my inquisitive little life, and I am sure she was thankful that I did. Though interviewing (a.k.a. conversation) is still my favorite source of information, I am willing to do my own homework. If nothing else, it enables me to ask better questions. ;-)
This morning I had reason to ask, "What is a sump pit?" Weren't you wondering the same thing?
"A sump pit is a hole which is designed to collect water and other spilled fluids. One of the most classic locations for a sump pit is a basement, with the sump pit wicking water away from rest of the basement to ensure that the basement does not flood. Typically, a sump pit is outfitted with a sump pump, a pump which is designed to periodically remove liquid from the pit to ensure that it does not overflow. Regular maintenance of both the pit and the pump is required to ensure that the sump pit continues to work as it should."
How accurate that answer is, I am sure I will find out soon. My homework is likely to get amended in the comments. ;-)
It has been said, "You learn something new every day." I'm not keeping track.
~End Quote

Oh dear. I hope you don't need mucho education on this topic.
ReplyDeleteToilets overflow and water backs up if a sump pump isn't checked regularly. I hope I'm not telling you something you already know.
They are also great places for frogs and toads. :)
ReplyDeleteStella's observation is correct, but only for evacuation pits (usually for plumbing installed below ground level).
Our sump pit only removes water that seeps in below the foundation from the surrounding fields. It is not connected to sewer anything.