Sunday, November 1, 2009

1517


[just another little Photoshoppish creation]


Martin Luther (not King, the other one)

It is as impossible to separate works from faith as burning and shining from fire.

Beautiful music is the art of the prophets that can calm the agitations of the soul; it is one of the most magnificent and delightful presents God has given us.

First I shake the whole apple tree that the ripest might fall. Then I climb the tree and shake each limb, and then each branch, and then each twig, and then I look under each leaf.

Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave.

You are not only responsible for what you say, but also for what you do not say.

There is no justification without sanctification, no forgiveness without renewal of life, no real faith from which the fruits of new obedience do not grow.

Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart.

I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God. Amen.

~ End Quote

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it was the day that Luther posted his theses, wasn't it? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was. He had in interesting sense of humor, and it showed in many of his points. I wouldn't exactly call him "genteel." ;-)

    ReplyDelete