When did "mother" become a verb? To mother. It's an art, it's a science, it's exhausting.
I had an incredible mom, and her mothering skills were evident well beyond our walls. She would downplay that, but she would agree that I experienced "mothering" from a few other women, as well. It's Mothers' Day tomorrow, and perhaps the rules would say that I should write about my own mother on this day. Interestingly, I find myself wanting to write about one of those other moms who poured herself into my life and heart.
Just two days before my mother died, she had a visit from a neighbor and friend. We had all been neighbors for nearly 40 years, and during those few minutes, I witnessed the most poignant moment of my mother's final days. Katherine, our friend, bent over and kissed my mom, saying, "I love you, Judy." Mama looked at her and said, "Thank you." Those were her last words.
Last weekend my dad called to let me know that Mrs. Katherine had passed away, and when I heard of her death, that other farewell was the first thing that crossed my mind. Of course, since then, my thoughts have been filled with other memories -- mothering moments. I can't list them tonight . . . too weary . . . too close to tears . . . perhaps another day.
Thanks for the mothering, ladies. I know I was not an easy one. I love you both.
"N.I.S." -- a frequently spoken line from the lips of Katherine -- "Nothing is simple."
~ End Quote
[photo taken on the day of Katherine's funeral]
Sometimes, when we think of those that have done it well, done it right, we feel so inadequate. At least, I do.
ReplyDeleteThanks, this morning, for honoring two heroes of mothering. Inspirational, to be sure.
:-)
Oh...and thanks for the magnolia shot. It would seem that I'm not missing them after all. :-)
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome . . . it was calling your name. ;-)
ReplyDeleteLovely pic, my friend - and sweet memories. :o)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lisa. Happy Mothers' Day!
ReplyDelete