Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Off Duty . . . Just Quotin'


When you write a blog that, from its inception and by design, builds most of its thoughts around the words of others, some interesting things can happen. Beginning with one thought, it is often possible to conclude with an entirely different one – and internet searches are particularly enjoyable meanderings for me.

In one such cyber-journey, I stumbled upon a collection of quotations taken, neither from the pens of writers nor from the speeches of orators nor from the lips of the particularly wise, but from . . . well . . . movies! I’m not saying no wisdom can be found in the words spoken by the characters in these movies; in fact, much truth is conveyed in movie lines. I’m simply noting the unusual source of the quotations that I have selected.

Allow me to begin with a bit of trivia: The phrase “off-duty” has been found in 72 phrases from 68 movies and series, according to one counter. (But who’s counting??) I’ll share some with you:

I’m off duty. ~ Monsters, Inc

Guess I ought to lose the hat when I’m off duty. ~ Starship Troopers

Come on. Pocahontas is off duty. I’m out of here. ~ Click

I’m gonna consider everything tonight off-record and off-duty. ~ The Guardian

I’ll get you settled down for the night, and then I’m off duty. ~ G.I. Jane

I don’t know. I’m too tired. . . . Come on. Are we on duty or off? ~ Casualtlies of War

We meet tonight. I’m off duty at twelve. ~ Knockaround Guys

Smarten up, snapperhead. I’m off duty! ~ For Richer or Poorer

I’m looking forward to the first time he and I come head to head off duty. ~ Sands of Iwo Jima

No. I’m off duty tonight. ~ Kaidan

Sorry, mate. I’m off-duty. ~ Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London

I’m off duty now, so I’m going to show you where you’ll be sleeping. ~ Bad Boy Bubby

For once we get some action, and I’m off duty. ~ Revanche

I’m off duty when I’m dreaming. ~ Carolina

How’s it going? I’m off duty. My meter ain’t running. ~ Born Yesterday

Not till I’m off duty. Can’t you keep your big mouth shut? ~ Detective Story

I’m off duty tonight. ~ 800 Balas

What’s happened? We can’t talk here. I’m just going off duty. ~ Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing

But I’m off-duty. I got a 24-hour pass. ~ Carmen Jones

Even if I’m off duty, you’ll pay half price. ~ another foreign film

I get my fill all day. Now I’m off duty. I’m eating. ~ Buffet Froid

Why bother me when I’m off duty? ~ 72 Metra

Tomorrow I’m off duty at 10. Wanna go swimming if it don’t rain? ~ Miss Sadie Thompson

You’re lucky, I’m off duty. What are you doing up there? ~ another foreign film

Hello there. I’m off-duty. Get out. ~ another foreign film

Oh, I’m so glad I’m off duty. ~ A Stitch in Time

Of course, I also like to include an image with my favorite quotes. *smile*

~ End Quote

3 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating that the only movie I recognize is Monsters, Inc.!!

    So, what are you really saying...wait, let me guess - off duty, perhaps? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of them made me really laugh. I can't wait to say, "Smarten up, snapperhead..." ;-)

    ReplyDelete