Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Aphorist



Recently, while searching the Internet for quotations, I stumbled upon one in particular that made me think. It also made me check out other quotes by the same individual, which is not always the case.

The writer’s name was Sydney J. Harris. Journalist, drama critic, teacher, lecturer, he wrote and wrote and wrote. Now, decades later, I think I’d like to read and read and read. Surely, I will not agree with all he has to say, but I could write a blog on each of the following aphorisms, I think. So interesting!

I offer you, Mr. Harris:

The three hardest tasks in the world are neither physical feats nor intellectual achievements, but moral acts: to return love for hate, to include the excluded, and to say, "I was wrong".
The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.

The most important thing in an argument, next to being r
ight, is to leave an escape hatch for your opponent, so that he can gracefully swing over to your side without too much apparent loss of face.
There's no point in burying a hatchet if you're going to put up a marker on the site.

We have not passed that subtle line between childhood and adulthood until... we have stopped saying "It got lost," and say "I lost it."

Middle Age is that perplexing time of life when we hear two voices calling us, one saying, "Why not?" and the other, "Why bother?"


An idealist believes the short run doesn’t count. A cynic believes the long run doesn’t matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run.

Ignorance per se is not nearly as dangerous as ignorance of ignorance.

The difference between faith and superstition is that t
he first uses reason to go as far as it can, and then makes the jump; the second shuns reason entirely — which is why superstition is not the ally, but the enemy, of true religion.

The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsi
bility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.

Ninety percent of the world's woe comes from people not knowing themselves, their abilities, their frailties, and even their real virtues. Most of us go almost all the way through life as complete strangers to ourselves.

As we grow older, we should learn that these are two qu
ite different things. Character is something you forge for yourself; temperament is something you are born with and can only slightly modify. Some people have easy temperaments and weak characters; others have difficult temperaments and strong characters. We are all prone to confuse the two in assessing people we associate with. Those with easy temperaments and weak characters are more likable than admirable; those with difficult temperaments and strong characters are more admirable than likable.

The last few are my favorites. ;-)


~ End Quote

3 comments:

  1. Tov meod on the find, my friend. Most excellent :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what is a person who is ashamed of some of what their country does?

    Going to check out library titles. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy, I think that person is a thinker!

    ReplyDelete